Thursday, July 13, 2006

Who did you vote for?

I've been following this Howard and Costello 'argy-bargy' and reading the average citizens view on this, for example, at The Age. I common thread in these rants is the phrase "I voted for Howard/Costello not Costello/Howard". Now, not everyone lives in the electorates of Bennelong or Higgins. So most of the writers in these forums did not in fact vote for Howard or Costello, unless their ballot had names similar to the Prime Minister or treasurer. So, you people did not vote for Howard/Costello but your local member. By the way, do they know who that is?

My point of this is that people should be thinking about who they are really voting for and keeping those individuals true to thier election promises. You should be basing your vote on the people actually standing in your electorate. I know that this idea is a fantasy. It's too hard to check what each candidate really stands for. Too many hide thier real beliefs just so they can ride on the coat tails of someone else. Thier ambition is just power, not to do good.

Another thing that gives me the irit's is 'directed preferences'. I was reminded of this via the story that John Pasquarelli ran as an independent and was funded by the Liberal party on the understanding that he would direct preferences to the Liberals. 'Directed preferences' rely on people being sheep and just doing what they are told. That's the problem. People have become lazy. Wake up! You can choose who you direct your preferences to. You don't have to follow the 'How to vote' cards.

This leads me to a few more hypotheses (I won't call them theories until they are backed by hard evidence, although I think the evidence is pretty strong) that I have:
90% of the population are sheep.
90% of the population are stupid.
The more a country becomes scientifically advanced, the less scientifically literate each individual becomes. In fact, they become less scientifically literate then the previous generation.

3 comments:

A-Man said...

Are the 90% of the population who are sheep also the same 90% who are stupid?
Or do we have some smart sheep and stupid do-their-own-thing people?

elaine said...

Easy, I know exactly who I voted for and in the Senate I voted below the line (painful though it was) because I didn't agree with the way the parties directed their preferences.

I'll probly be back in the inner north by the next election so I imagine it won't change...

I think the reasons that the population is less scientifically literate stem from a couple of bases. First, the sheer complexity and amount of science to be known becomes too overwhelming for pleople to dabble in and so they think it's all to hard and find out nothing. Second, the kids aren't taught logic or critical thinking anymore. So thay aren't taught to question.

Change the world 'door. Or at least one classroom at a time. You're in a position to do so...

Anonymous said...

Hi there Grumpy Old Man!

Long time no see! Hope your outback trip was fun and that the children weren't too bad.

I'd love to catch up with you in the near future if you're happy/able to.

Incidentally, I really enjoy reading your blog but I think that you should use a spellchecker if there's one on your computer. Yes, yes, I'm being a hypocrite cos my writing is so bad it's barely decipherable but then I'm not a teacher, and I don't have a web page.

Regarding your 'Who did you vote for?' blog, apparently my grandfather was of the opinion that a country gets the politicians it deserves. While I don't entirely agree with this, it is an interesting thought; particularly in the context of Australia, where most people have some degree of access to education and are compelled to vote for their representatives in what is a relatively democratic political system. Australians as a whole should be disgraced by our choice of politicians. While I appreciate that no-one, including the politicians involved, know exactly what's what (ie. what a politician will actually do on any given day once in a position of power), it's just not that hard to do better than we are. I'm appalled. I'm disgraced. I'm outraged. And yet, there must be a huge group of voters out there who are apathetic - we're in a position where there's a Howard/Costello battle featuring in the news when neither name should be familiar enough to be newsworthy. How did those two slimy worms get enough votes through the years to make it into the papers? As I said, I'm appalled. OK, off the soap box now!

Hope all's going well with you. Jade