Thursday, September 06, 2007

Talk soup

I was at this party the other night meeting and greeting as you do. I got talking to someone and the conversation turned towards a discussion of a philosophical nature. At last, I thought, an interesting topic. However, the young lass stopped the topic dead by saying that this wasn't a party conversation and proceeded to completely change the subject.

What the hell determines a "party discussion"? Why can't you have non-banal, stimulating conversations? When I talk to someone I want to know what you think, and why, about deep and intellectual topics. I want to hear other points of view and the reasons that they have for reaching their conclusions. I want to be challenged and, conversely, challenge their thinking. Not only that, but I'm attracted to women with whom I have these conversations. Talking about being attracted to, it seems that I attract pets, gays and young girls. None of which is in my target demographic. That's my luck.

5 comments:

Mel said...

Sure, some of the best party conversation is stimulating conversation. But if a topic starts to make me feel upset or angry I would rather talk about something else than end up shouting or crying at a party.

Ms Dodo said...

"Young lass"! I know there is a critical age thingy on the far horizon, but "young lass"?

Sorry, can't make a rational comment - too busy being gob-smacked.

Re the attraction problem, maybe you need to change your venues? Stop hanging out at those pet shops! [grin]

Signed, old biddy

Anonymous said...

maybe she just wasn't in the mood. and you sound pretty grumpy, i probably wouldn't be in the mood to talk to you either.

'Door said...

To anonymous,
I'm under no illusion. Read the top of my blog.

Ms Dodo said...

No illusions? Really?


Anyway. Did you know that not only can't a commentor edit their comment once it's up, but they can't delete it either. Only the blogger can I think.

So I can't fix the last sentence of my previous comment which should have read :
"Stop hanging out at those pet shops boy! [grin]"

Now I know why there is a "preview" button!