Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A few simple questions

Ages ago I asked my grandfather the following questions mainly because I wanted him to understand the way my philosophies have been shaped.
  • Do you only follow your faith because that is what your were born into?
  • If you were born into a different religion, would you have been just as ardent in your faith?
  • When and why did you stop believing in ideas such as Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny?
  • Do you apply this reasoning (ie. why you stopped believing in the Easter Bunny) to all aspects of your belief systems?
These should be questions that everyone must ask themselves in order to justify whatever belief system or philosophy they follow. And the answers must be consistent.
I find it amusing that my grandmother is so proud of me that as a 12 year old I read the bible. And when she asks me why I don't go to church or believe in a god, she seems amazed that the answer is "because I've read the bible".

On reflection, here are a few more questions that I could have put to him.

  • If there was no god, would you still act the way you do?
  • Would you completely change you morals?
  • How would you determine if something was right or wrong?
  • If there was no afterlife, would you change the things you do to improve this world rather than hoping the next one is better?
I don't know if any if these question would have made him seen the world through my eyes. Most likely not.

2 comments:

elaine said...

Interestingly, I had a similar conversation with a guy in Morocco kind of like yours.

I was a little surprised by the answer but upon reflection it made more sense.

He said that he is muslim because that's what he was born into, he admitted that the early childhood "education" (my quotation marks, I'd call it brainwashing) made sure that religion is an ingrained habit (you pray five times a day until it's just like eating and brushing your teeth). He even said that if he was born elsewhere that he would not be muslim.

He didn't have a problem with this because they're "all the one God".

'Door said...

Interesting elaine.
I really do have a problem with his "all one god" argument. Firstly he is assuming that he would be born into a family practicing one of the judaism/christian/islam sects. He's missing at least 1/3 of the worlds population who practice hinduism/buddhism/etc. What would he do then?
Also, if it is "all one god" for those Abrahamic religions why are the personalities of this god so different? Eg. the jewish and muslin god is one while the christian god has a split personality. That is totally incompatible.