Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The decline of Western Civilisation

On sunday morning after training, I had breakfast with some of my training partners at the Botanical Hotel. During breakfast, a fleet of the last model of jeep Cherokees appeared on Domain Rd emblazoned with advertising for some car dealership. The cars stopped, and the street was flooded by girls in thier 20's wearing red caps offering free test drives in the vehicles. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked them one of the girls if they were going to the western suburbs with this offer. The girl replied, "Of course, we have cars covering the area between Nunawading and Brighton." and Brighton was said with that 'Brighton accent'. Well there is no need to tell you if you live in Melbourne that the western suburbs are not between Nunawading and Brighton. I didn't have the heart to ask her if she actually knew where the western suburbs were. I don't thing I would have been able to handle her answer of "Anywhere west of Toorak".
I feel sorry for those who live in their enclosed worlds. The sad thing is that they don't know that their world is not the same as others. They have never ventured outside. They are under the illusion that the rest of us live like they do. I wish that they would have really driven out to the western suburbs and offered the same deal. I'm sure there would have been more takers.

6 comments:

elaine said...

do you think that she didn't know what "west" was?

Living in her bubble where nice things happen and poverty only exists in the third world She's probably a lot happier than you or I.

What was it Slartibartfast said? I'd far rather be happy than right anyday".

Ignorance is bliss? Maybe, But I'd rather be happy AND right.

Anonymous said...

You should have taken up the offer of a test drive, and driven them to the western suburbs.

'Door said...

I'm with you elaine. I'd rather be happy and right. Ignorance is no excuse.

Anonymous said...

God, I hate South Yarra.

Anonymous said...

So we're not good enough to join for a parma eh? No more "I'm on the other side of the world" excuses pal. Food + beer soon please!

BTW, I don't think the woman should be lynched for not knowing her geography. She may have been new to Melbourne. Also, there's a strong argument for directions, such as west, being entirely relative (ie. Richmond is west of Ringwood and so cld b considered a 'western suburb' by someone based in Ringwood). That said, except for Windy Hill, what's in the suburbs that are west of the city anyway?

Hope yr trip was fun! Sounds it - beery goodness. All the best, Jade

'Door said...

Not good enough!!! I tried organising something last week but A-man said he was tooooo busy. Let's tee up something then.