Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gone to the dogs

Something is not right. Yesterday I agreed with an Andrew Bolt article. I checked the date, it wasn't the 1st of April. I think I may have been too dismissive about Armageddon. It must be coming soon. There can be no other explaination.

Anyway, totally unrelated, for the last few years Miss Jade has been wanting to go the the Greyhounds. So two weekends ago I went with her to the Meadows. One word: superb. The night did have have an extra benefit in that it was also the launch of the Stone Age Cameo's tribute to the Hoodoo Guru's 'Stone Age Romeos' album. The music was excellent with the Blackeyed Susans, Even and the Spazzy's belting out Hoodoo Guru covers. We both had a punt on nearly all the races and we both made a profit. Here's the tip. Go out and watch the dog's in the parade area before the race. You can tell which dog wants to win. I went back to the betting ring before one race after deciding on a dog and I checked its odds. It was paying $19 on the tote for a $1 bet. I still placed a few dollars on it and the dog did its job. It ended up paying $23 for the win. But most importantly for Miss Jade was that 440ml cans of Black Douglas and coke were only $4.50. I was reminded of this many times. This deal was so good that in one race she urged on the dogs way after they had finished the race. That was so cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandor - I had a gay old time! So much so that I'd be keen to go again.

Andrejs and I would like to catch up with you for some pub grub in the next couple weeks. Wld next week some time suit?

All the best, Jade

elaine said...

I was just waiting for the headline 'Treasurer takes Minister to The Dogs'... alas, it wasn't to be.

'Door said...

Jade,
Sure, what day next week?

Elaine,
an opportunity missed..