Sunday, May 14, 2006

A weekend of losing

I pasionately follow only a few sporting teams. There is North Melbourne (I shall always call them that) in the AFL and West Ham United in English soccer. This weekend has not been a good one for either of them.
I stayed up till after 3am to watch the F.A. Cup final and see the Irons lose a game they should have won. And to lose to Liverpool. Surely they have won enough trophies and don't need another. If that's not all, my car decided to break down on the way home from watching the game. Driving a car that splutters and coughs and can only manage a top speed of 20 km/h up Punt Rd does not win admiration from other drivers. Yet some drivers are so stupid. I pull aside to let them pass yet some decide to follow me as I pull over, and then abuse me for doing so. You can't win.
Then I had to sit through an insipid performance from a so called football side that is supposed to have pride. I don't know which dictionary they use, but thier definition of pride doesn't match any I've seen. What a crap day at the footy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Door, losing has become a habit for my team, your pre-season assessment of Geelong, if you recall, was rather negative. In a sentence please make a prediction of Geelong's fortunes for the rest of year. My brother told me that we are in line for a lad by the name of Hawkins, via the father-son rule of course. He's a key position type. I hope his mind is up to playing for Geelong. All the best to North Melbourne.

Anonymous said...

While my football knowledge is far inferior to yours door...even about my own club....I have been making the almost weekly pilgrimage to the afc (Ainslie footy club) to watch Carlton lost in spectacular fashion. Not sure whats worse the frustration of supporting a team that seems to have a combined attention span of a goldfish....or that I have to watch them do such a crap job in artic temperatures in a thugby obessed boring shithole....

Hope you're doing well