Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A long time between drinks

It's been a while since my last post and it's been 4 weeks since I've had an alcoholic drink. For those of you who know me, you can pick yourselves off the ground now.
It has been a strange four weeks. The first time I went to a pub after making the decision to be healthy for a while, I craved for beer. It didn't help that it was Rock 'n' Wrestle. Rock, wrestling and beer go so well together. But I managed to endure the night and enjoy the wrestling. After that occasion there has only been one other time when I've desired beer. This is so unlike me. If I went out and beer tasted good (when doesn't it?) I would drink heaps and sometimes not even worry about dinner. Now, I don't particularly want to have a drink, even at the footy (This is the second time some of you may have to pick yourselves off the ground.)
It is interesting how different people react to you at a pub when you are not drinking.I was at the wrestling with Elaine and I ordered a beer and a lemonade. The bartender put the beer in front of me and the lemonade in front of Elaine, the assumption being that if one of you isn't drinking it must be the female. On friday, some of us were at a pub celebrating the last week of our teaching round. One of the guys wanted to have a huge night and was buying beer for everyone. He was really trying hard to get me a drink. I got called soft a lot. It didn't faze me.
Can I have fun without having a drink? At the moment I don't really know the answer to this question. The company and the entertainment has been good, but I haven't really been excited nor let myself go. This is no reflection on the people who I've been out with because I really do like being around them. Even at the footy, where I can get fairly worked up, I've been relatively calm. Is this what I'm really like? When I drink do I turn into someone who isn't really me? I don't know. The experiment shall continue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to (most) of my life.

elaine said...

I think there are probably lots of reasons for the calm...

It's not just alcohol either. When I stopped taking other intoxicants on a regular basis, a lot of the people I went out with couldn't handle it. They couldn't see it and would try to insist that I should "have fun" with them. There I was thinking that I was having just as much fun as before (just having to go home to bed before midday).