Monday, January 01, 2007

Among the Living

On the way up to the Hanging Rock races I was telling Miss Jade about the Dead Pool competition. I've seen different point scoring systems and I've decide to come up with my own and run a dead pool competition. So if you are interested here are the rules:
1. Pick 10 people who you think will die in 2007. You have until 14th January to put up your names.
2. The point scoring system is based on life expectancy data from the Human Mortality Database. I've looked at the data and come up with a scoring system based on your life expectancy at a certain age and how far short of it that person falls when they die. The scoring system is as follows:



For example: if the person dies at age 39 and is female, you get 45 points.

3. Who ever ends up with the most points wins.
4. Age is rounded down. So if a person is 43 years and 230 days, their age is taken as 43.

I'll think about my 10 names and put them up soon.

6 comments:

'Door said...

Here are my ten:
Muhammad Ali - Boxer
Ronnie Biggs - Train Robber
Dick Clark - US tv host
Lobby Loyde - Australian guitarist
C Miller/C-Murder - Rapper
Ozzy Osbourne - Singer
Peter O'Toole - Actor
Lou Richards - Australian Footballer
Valentino Rossi - Motorcycle rider
Gough Whitlam - Polititian

Ms Dodo said...

I've been a fan of stiffs.com for years!

So what are the rules about who we can name? I assume the potential bodies must be of people famous for something?

'Door said...

You can name anyone who has been famous for something. I think anyone who gets an obituary on a reputable web-site or news service qualifies.

Mel said...

Lou Richards is still alive???

Ms Dodo said...

My ten:

1. Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen, famous pumpkin scone maker, former Senator(!) and wife of Joe
2. Tom Uren, former Minister in the Whitlam & Hawke Govts.
3. Stephen Hawking, scientist
4. Ronnie Biggs, train robber (I gather no rules about picking some of the same people?)
5. Mickey Rooney, actor (let's put on a show!)
6. George Bush (senior), former US President and other unmentionable things
7. Dame Elizabeth Murdoch, doer of good works and unfortunate mother
8. Prince Phillip, consort of the Queen of England
9. Gore Vidal, author and sometime political activist
10. Paul McCartney, singer/songwriter

It was hard not to turn this into a wish list (a bit like I pick teams in the footy tipping comps.

'Door said...

A friend of mine sent me these names. He/she is too scared to put their name to it.

1. Castro (they haven't announced his death yet so I'm going for it)
2. Lobby Loyde (you can't have him to yourself!)
3. Lou Richards (ditto)
4. Dame Elizabeth Murdoch (not many points but pretty darned likely)
5. Adam Ramanauskas (I hope not but he's on the list anyway)
6. Nicole Ritchie (it was a toss up between her and Lindsay Lohan,
but Ritchie has the mix of the eating disorder plus drugs and
wild lifestyle)
7. Derryn Hinch
8. Tyler Fishlock (Door's comment: A 4 year old kid with cancer. Tut.. tut..)
9. Maggie Thatcher
10. Nancy Reagan