Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Do you know what I mean?

I hate that question. Why are there so many using it to finish off a sentence? Why is it being used so often? Has our language changed so much that you can't assume that the person you are talking to will understand a word you say? "I fell and hurt my arm the other day, you know what I mean?". Unless the words have changed meaning, I think you are telling me that you fell and hurt your arm the other day.

Is it a tool to elicit sympathy? Am I supposed to feel your pain and comfort you in your time of need just because you tacked on those words? You would get a better response if you just left off that offending question.

I felt it was time to act and put a stop to it. I have deliberately begun answering the question in the negative by saying "No, I don't know what you mean." or by saying "Well, unless the meaning of the words have changed.....". Needless to say I have been getting some curt replies. But I don't care. Stupid phrases or questions should be treated with the comtempt that they deserve.

No comments: